Our First Aircrete Factory
The first aircrete factory in the UK was established in 1958 in Grays, Essex. This combined Danish expertise in aircrete with involvement from a building contractor (Christiani & Neilson) and Celcon Limited. The company then referred to as Celcon Limited was wholly acquired by its Danish parent in 1963.
As this new material began to attract attention, additional factories were opened. A plant in Rugely in Staffordshire supplied the Midlands and in 1974 operations moved into the West Country with the opening of a purpose-built factory in Westbury. Four years later the Pollington plant opened in Humberside (now East Yorkshire). This factory was specifically designed to produce the Plus Block range.
The Rugely factory was superseded by a new, state-of-the-art factory at Borough Green, Kent in 1992. This Borough Green factory eventually took over manufacturing from both the Rugeley and the Grays plants.
Meanwhile, in Yorkshire, a second plant was opened at Pollington in 2003. It uses some of the most advanced and environmentally friendly manufacturing equipment for the production of aircrete. The Pollington plant was officially opened by Brian Wilson, Minister of State for Energy and Construction, in 2003.